It’s been quite a week of custom fun with the JoeCustoms Custom Celebration, and I’m finishing off the week with my last two Sigma 6 themed customs.
Okay, I purposefully saved these guys for last…well…because I kinda love them. It’s not often that I really get involved and drawn in by my own work…after all, I saw it in its messiest form, and even when something is relatively final I can’t help but think back to one of those late night work sessions where paint was slopped everywhere and I never thought I’d get it right.
Hi-Tech uses the head from the Renegades Duke that I’d torn apart for Long Range’s legs. I had cut apart a few more metal plates from another vest and used Blackout’s goggles to build up that strange goggle contraption for his head. PoC Beachhead torso and arms again, but I went with PoC’s Firefly’s legs because they look a bit more cybernetic.
Then I took two of those strange technical devices from PoC Beachhead and put them in assorted places on the figure as well.
The accessories were where I really felt like I had to go above the rest of these entries. For his backpack I used the PoC Duke rocket launcher backpack with a Data-Viper radar dish attached. Then… there was HOUND.
I honestly can’t quite remember how HOUND came together…I took two Data-Viper torso armor pieces and reversed them, then glued them together. I cut up some of the long drone launchers and used those for the feet. The head is a Data-Viper helmet and then the two Data-Viper missile pods with guns glued into them. Honestly, I wish I could say it was some calculated project, but I really just cut up a bunch of stuff, mashed it together and added some super glue.
And here is Lt. Stone, my favorite Sigma 6 character, and one of my favorite G.I. Joe characters of all time. My first Sigma 6 custom ever was Lt. Stone, but it was just a Reactive Armor figure and Retaliation Zartan arm. I needed something better than that.
I tweaked the Marauder’s Falcon head, trimming down the eyepatch strap, and putting him on the PoC Beachhead torso. For the left arm, I once again used quite a bit of Retaliation Zartan, but then added the forearm from Retaliation Firefly with the translucent green arm. Using acetone and sand paper, I scraped off the layer of paint to reveal the green underneath, then cut up more of Zartan’s arm and glued certain segments to the plain arm underneath. Added some paint, and the result was a nicely bulky cybernetic looking robot arm that worked infinitely better than I thought it might.
When I first started this project, I honestly wasn’t sure where I was going with it. I wanted to make a few figures at first, but it expanded to nine total figures, and I have a number of recipes rolling around in my skull for other figures. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to them.
For now, here’s a couple of team shots to show how these figures all work together.
I have to give some huge thanks to the guys from JoeCustoms for letting me bounce ideas off them and work through this project. A bunch of friends very nicely provided me some parts, and this was a really fun project to work on.
Again, I realize the project isn’t perfect and it isn’t as clean as I’d like. My ultimate goal was a ragtag team of renegade characters who were on the run from an overpowering Cobra force, yet managed to stumble upon a research laboratory of next generation technology. So in ways, the hacked-together mentality works.
Hopefully folks have enjoyed this look at my Sigma 6 custom project, and I really hope everyone has been checking out the JoeCustoms Custom Celebration, they were an inspiration throughout this process!