Good morning! So the rush of the Golden Ticket pick up is over and we’ve had some time to digest some more information from the comic book.
Some random thoughts:
- The original Corrosao was a Brazilian DeeJay repaint. He appears in the comic both looking like Tele-Viper AND looking like DeeJay. Which is it?
- It definitely looks like the B.A.T. Rocket Glider 2 Pack are repaints from the old COBRA Jet Pack (last used as a Target exclusive from Rise of COBRA).
- The pilots of the COBRA Sky Serpent looks like it might be a variation of the Laser Viper. Perhaps a Laser Viper Officer? You can see a slightly different colored Laser Viper in the pilot’s seat and jumping from the exploding Sky Serpent below.
- The Vector Jet was up in question for a bit, based on the design of the jet in the comic, but more and more I’m suspecting that it might just be the Conquest, especially based on the uneven artwork elsewhere in the comic itself.
Talk about a quick turnaround time! Straight from the hotel in Orlando, good friends of GeneralsJoes Chris (from The Full Force) and Troy (from TroyMcKie.com) come through HUGE with a ton of awesome images and a full blown 30 minute VIDEO REVIEW of the G.I. Joe Convention 2017 Force of Battle: 2000 boxed set!
Get a first hand look at all of the figures in hand and the unique insight you can only get from guys like Chris and Troy. I can’t thank them enough for taking time out of their very busy convention schedules to bust this out for GeneralsJoes, it almost makes it feel like I’m actually there.
Check out the image gallery, and hit up the YouTube Video Review embedded below. Thank you guys!!!!
Keep your eyes peeled here on GeneralsJoes.com for the latest intel from Orlando and JoeCon 2017!
Okay, here we go!
Fresh from the Golden Ticket Pickup, we’ve got the full list of exclusives for the 2017 G.I. Joe Convention as well as some possible images/design cues based on the comic. Keep in mind the comic isn’t always 100% accurate and they sometimes throw us some curve balls, but in years’ past they’ve been pretty solid.
First the list:
- BF 2000 Vector Jet
- COBRA Sky Serpent w/ Pilot
- BF 2000 Marauder Snowmobile 3 Pack
- COBRA Laser Vipers 3 Pack
- Ultimate Enemies 2 Pack
- COBRA B.A.T. Rocket Glider 2 Pack
So, this doesn’t tell us a whole lot. Thankfully, Phil from YoJoe was there with a camera to snap some images from the convention comic. Check them out below:
Based on those images above, I think we can make some educated guesses:
- Vector Jet is a tough call. It almost looks like it could be the Conquest, but the wings are the wrong way. Repainted ROC Night Raven maybe? Or something obvious that I can’t put my finger on? EDIT – It’s been mentioned that this at least slightly resembles the old school COBRA Hurricane. DARE WE HOPE?
- Sky Serpent w/ Pilot is likely the Black Dragon VTOL, at least it certainly looks that way. No idea who the pilot might be
- Marauder Snowmobiles look like repainted Polar Battle Bears as figured. Three of them?
- Laser Viper 3 Pack – Pretty much what I suspected, and also it certainly doesn’t look as if they have their laser backpacks (which isn’t a surprise, not even the concept case version did)
- Ultimate Enemies 2 Pack – Looking like perhaps DeeJay and Corrosao (the guy they call “Corrosion” in the comic). In toy form, Corrosao was a Brazilian DeeJay repaint, so the correlation makes sense, though the comic looks to use the Tele-Viper head sculpt.
- COBRA B.A.T. Rocket Glider – Maybe COBRA Jet Pack (like the one that was repainted as a Target Exclusive for Rise of COBRA)? The image of DeeJay getting blown up almost looks like one of those flying off in the upper right hand corner.
As an added bonus it looks like perhaps Backstop is the parachute figure! At least that looks like him in one of the comic panels above.
It should be noted that Tundra Stalker is also in the convention comic, though I’m honestly not sure where he would slot in, unless he’s one of the “Ultimate Enemies” and DeeJay isn’t, but that would just be bizarre. Sometimes the Club throws red herrings at us in these comics, so that seems likely in this case.
Patrick from YoJoe also threw along some images of the BattleForce: 2000 LAW. Check those out below. Huge thanks to Phil and Patrick!
Consider these unconfirmed as no images have surfaced yet, but according to Colt Blue on HissTank.com, two more exclusives have been mentioned (though no product images are yet available).
- Laser Viper 3 Pack
- BattleForce: 2000 Polar Battle Bear Snowmobile
Again, no real details on these yet, though one would imagine the Laser Vipers are based on the unreleased Concept Case renditions, while the Battle Bear might be worked up in silver to jive with the old school BattleForce: 2000 look and feel.
We’ve got boots on the ground and will get more details via the JoeCon comic as soon as they’re available!
Very first tidbit of news from JoeCon in Orlando (though no images available as of yet) –
More details as they are available…big thanks to Phil from YoJoe for the early scoopage.
Can it be here again already? The annual gathering of G.I. Joe fans, this year down in Orlando, Florida is here again with the 2017 International G.I. Joe Collectors Convention!
Unfortunately I will not be in attendance this year due to some poorly scheduled previous family commitments, but that won’t stop me from laying down coverage as usual. I’ve reached out to several “boots on the ground” in Florida who will be helping throw some intel our way so we can all stay informed together.
As usual, Wednesday night is Golden Ticket pick up night, which means a bunch of folks will be getting their boxed set tonight, which includes the convention comic! Typically within the convention comic will be a list of the show exclusives and those same show exclusives normally appear in the pages of the comic as well, so by the end of the evening we should at least have an idea what to expect for Convention exclusives.
This is always a very fun time as a G.I. Joe fan, and I’m upset that I won’t be in the middle of it, but I will be enjoying it vicariously through all of my good friends down there.
Buckle up, hopefully some fun stuff to come over the next several days!
Like they’ve been doing from the start, they seem to be sticking really close to the vintage aesthetic, and the designs are, for the most part, really solid. I am a bit concerned about the Photoshop mock up head sculpts, especially the ones with the non-removable helmets, as I fear they may suffer from Static Line syndrome.
While many folks complained about Static Line’s permanently attached helmet, I wasn’t all that distraught about that component, but more about how the attached helmet almost looked like it was a part of his head. Whoever is sculpting these heads doesn’t appear to be accommodating for the actual shape and size of the head underneath the helmet and the result is an almost “squished” look where the helmets are far too small and way too tight.
Time will tell what the actual finished product will look like, I hate to make judgments based purely on a Photoshop mock up, but that’s all we have to go on at this point.
One question I really do have though – WHERE’S BLASTER’S MASK???? Seriously that was a really awesome element to the original figure. Very disappointed that they couldn’t find some way financially to include that, choosing instead to retool exact replicas of vintage accessories. Curious choice on that one, I have to admit.
The builds for these two figures are pretty decent, though as I mentioned above I’m a little confused as to why money would be invested in retooling exactly replicas of the classic weapons when a 30 second trip to eBay will find any replacement you want for pennies on the dollar.
Regardless… we’re now a good chunk of the way through the reveals and so far I’m liking the majority of the BattleForce: 2000 stuff, but am still really questioning the choice to include 9 Battle Android Troopers. Let’s see what the rest look like.
Keep watching GIJoeCon.com for updates and see the previews below!
Do not pass go, do not collect $200! Registration for the 2017 G.I. Joe Convention is now LIVE.
The next exclusive for the upcoming G.I. Joe Convention boxed set has been revealed and it’s looking pretty awesome!
Maverick and Knockdown were okay, but Avalanche is pretty spectacular. Great build, great paint, and a new head sculpt. Nice! Keep checking GIJoeCon.com for the latest info, and you can see the image mirrored below.