Thanks to IDW Editor in Chief Chris Ryall’s Twitter feed, we’ve got a fantastic look at the upcoming wrap around cover for G.I. Joe #1, coming in March, 2013!
This cover is by Jamal Igle and really looks gorgeous. I’ve been among the folks kind of scratching my head over the lack of military gear on these characters, but I personally have no issues with a more modern, less real world type of uniforms, and this looks like a very cool mash up.
To be honest, I think many of the characters here are giving off just a little bit of a Pursuit of Cobra vibe. I know that PoC figures had a lot more military elements to it, but think about those cool forearm guards we got on Beachhead, and the strategic armor plating from Destro, Firefly, Dusty, and later version of Duke. I see some similarities here.
But let’s all face it, uniforms are just on the surface. I think we can all agree it’s the story that counts, and I’ve got a lot of confidence in Fred Van Lente. I’m really looking forward to this hitting in March. Check out the original stuff over on Chris Ryall’s Tumblr page, I’ve also mirrored the images below.
- Amazing cover artwork for IDW’s Cobra Command
- Fred Van Lente talks to CBR about G.I. Joe relaunch – First look at the new Joes!
- Some great sneak preview pages from Real American Hero Annual
- Newsarama interviews G.I. Joe cover artist Tom Feister
- Nightly News Recap – Further details on IDW comics, with cover images