I must say I was pretty surprised when I saw this article emerge on Variety.com. Variety typically covers the film industry, but upon news of the delay of G.I. Joe: Retaliation, the site decided to explore a little bit about the retail side of things.
And the retail side of things sounds like a mess for Hasbro as we suspected. According to Variety, retailers are being asked to ship G.I. Joe: Retaliation product back…although whether this is merely a request or a directive is not yet clear. Variety also reached out to retail management, and was told point blank that they likely would not order the G.I. Joe product line in as large a number next March, simply because summer films do better business.
It’s an interesting article, and it’s rare that a mainstream Hollywood site goes into this type of detail when it comes to the toys. Heck, they even mention how torqued off the hardcore fans are, and they mention JoeCon.
Definitely worth a read. Check it out right here.
- GeneralsJoes Reviews three more G.I. Joe: Retaliation figures
- GeneralsJoes kicks off the G.I. Joe: Retaliation figure reviews!
- GeneralsJoes wraps up G.I. Joe: Retaliation single pack reviews
- GeneralsJoes reviews the G.I. Joe: Retaliation Ghost Hawk II!
- Hasbro’s Official Statement regarding G.I. Joe: Retaliation toyline