Wow. Now maybe someone remembers me talking about this already, but I don’t think I did.
With the launch of the first G.I. Joe film in 2009, Electronic Arts released a licensed game as companies are wont to do, and the game was pretty widely panned as these licensed games generally are. However, one cool thing about the game, in my opinion, was the designs of the characters. They took the Rise of Cobra aesthetic and tweaked it a bit with more military elements to pretty good effect.
But, thanks to notpicard and Greg from What’s on Joe Mind who pointed this art site to me, there was a nice amount of unused concept art that completely and totally ROCKED. Stuff that wasn’t used in the game. Sure, a lot of it walked that line between current military realism and future technology, but I’ll be damned if every one of these concepts isn’t really bad ass. I would kill to see some of this stuff in toy form.
You can find the gallery at CGHub.com and I’ve also mirrored many images below. There are a ton of great pictures hosted at the site, you should definitely check it out. Now I feel like I want to go home and play this game again!
- Covers for G.I. Joe: Rise of COBRA video game officially revealed by EA
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of COBRA video game ON SALE NOW – almost half price!
- New details for the G.I. Joe: The Rise of COBRA Nintendo DS game
- Hands on report of Rise of COBRA video game from a G.I. Joe fan
- New Rise of COBRA video game screenshots on WorthPlaying.com