When I first saw the tweets from the Hub this morning, who was commenting from the Television Critics’ Association I had a feeling some news would be coming out today. Not a whole lot, but we got a great idea of some of the voice cast who will be speaking through some of our favorite characters! A huge thanks to Toy News International for getting this information out there.
Not only am I going to talk about who the revealed voice actors are, I’m gonna give my own .02 on who they might be playing, as well as a link to their current resume. So, here’s the run down:
Lee Majors – Pretty self explanatory. A great resume, a surprise addition.
- Famous Roles – The Six Million Dollar Man, Steve Austin. The Fall Guy.
- Character Guess – General “Hawk” Abernathy. He has the age, he has the dignity and the attitude. I can’t see him playing anyone else.
Clancy Brown – A long and storied acting and voice acting career. If you’ve watched action cartoons over the past 10 years, you know the voice.
- Famous Roles – Shawshank Redeption; Lex Luthor (in Superman and Justice League animated series)
- Character Guess – Destro. He has that “holier than thou” corporate magnate flair. I would love to see this happen, I think he would make for an incredible James McCullen Destro.
Charlie Adler – Also has had a very long and illustrious career, and I can guarantee, nearly everyone reading this post has heard his voice.
- Famous Roles – Cobra Commander, Gung Ho, Flint (G.I. Joe: Resolute); Starscream (Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen, Transformers: Prime); Dr. Doom (The Super Hero Squad Show)
- Character Guess – Gotta be Cobra Commander. He did a fantastic job in Resolute as Cobra’s insidious leader, and it would be an awesome homage.
Jason Marsden – Not quite as well known as some of the other voice actors, but he’s definitely had a presence over the past number of years. Not quite as well known as his older brother James (Cyclops from the X-Men films)
- Famous Roles – Firefly (The Batman)
- Character Guess – Duke. Michael Bell’s early leaked comments reflected that fact, so this one is pretty much a known commodity.
Kevin Michael Richardson – Another name with a lot of voice acting experience, though you may not know him right off the tip of your tongue. He’s had a lot of great roles over the past several years.
- Famous Roles – The Joker (The Batman); Bishop (Wolverine and the X-Men); L. Thompson Lincoln/Tombstone (The Spectacular Spider-Man); Nick Fury (The Superhero Squad)
- Character Guess – Roadblock. He’s got the stature, he’s got the gravitas, and based on the characters he’s played, I think he would do a fantastic Roadblock.
Johnny Messner – Honestly, I had to look this one up. He’s had a long film career, mostly bit parts, and no real voice acting that I can find. Several CSI iterations, other television roles.
- Famous Roles – Tears of the Sun, Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid
- Character Guess – Not a clue, really. Flint perhaps?
This is sounding like a fantastic line up. Majors, Brown, Adler, and Richardson already have me fired up. These are guys we’ve heard in cartoons for a long time who have a lot of experience and bring some great talent to the table. Renegades is looking better by the day.